The Parish Safeguarding Handbook has important information for incumbents and church officers.

When we take the time to learn more, to develop safe working practices and to identify how to respond well to concerns, it’s clear that safeguarding is a positive and creative opportunity to live out the gospel.

Safeguarding information in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) can be found here.

Reporting Abuse

What to do if you have a safeguarding concern

If you have information about a safeguarding situation where a child or adult is in immediate danger, or requires immediate medical attention, call emergency services on 999.

If you do not think there is a risk of immediate harm, you should still speak to an official about your concern as soon as possible.

The Diocesan safeguarding team are committed to responding to safeguarding concerns, providing advice if you are not sure what to do, and supporting survivors in an efficient and effective way.  We are not however able to offer an emergency or 24-hour response.  Your Parish Safeguarding Officer is also a local first point of contact for reporting safeguarding concerns.

If you are concerned that a child or vulnerable adult is at risk of harm you should approach your local Children’s Social Care or Adult’s Social Care department.

The Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (see contact details below) must be informed about any case where a child or vulnerable adult appears to be at risk or where an adult appears to present a risk. They must also be informed straight away of any safeguarding concerns involving a Church Officer.  A ‘Church Officer’ is anyone appointed/elected by or on behalf of the Church to a post or role, whether they are ordained or lay, paid or unpaid.

If you wish to report any safeguarding concerns directly to the National Safeguarding Team at Church House Westminster, please email

Safeguarding Referral Form and Contact Details

Meet the Safeguarding team

Reporting Safeguarding Concerns

Safeguarding  Referrals

Please call: 01865 208295 or email: for urgent safeguarding concerns, Mon. to Thurs. 9am to 5pm and Fri. 9am to 4.30pm.

Safeguarding Referral Form needs be used to refer safeguarding concerns to members of the diocesan safeguarding team.  All phone or email referrals to the safeguarding team must be followed up by completing the Safeguarding Referral Form and returning it to:

The safeguarding team aim to acknowledge receipt of all referrals within 48 hours.  A member of the safeguarding team will contact the referrer, in accordance with case prioritisation, to discuss the referral further.

For general safeguarding enquiries and advice on policies or procedures:

Please email or phone: 01865 208267

Meet the Safeguarding team – Contact details

Richard Woodley, Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser, or 07391 868478

Lisa Wilkins, Safeguarding Casework Officer, or 07341 866832

Emma Hooper, Safeguarding Casework Officer, or 07435 550685

For queries on safeguarding training:
Rebecca Norris-Bulpitt, Safeguarding Assistant & Training Officer – or 01865 587041

For DBS and general safeguarding enquiries:
Linda Carpenter, Safeguarding Administrator – or 01865 208267

Finding the local Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO):

Find PSOs by name or Parish

Finding Support

We understand that reporting abuse may be very difficult and distressing and it may add to your hurt by our not being able to immediately assist you. Therefore here are the contact details of other agencies that are available to assist either on a 24-hour basis or through specialist helplines and services:

Safe Spaces

Safe Spaces is a free and independent support service, run by Victim Support, which provides a confidential and safe space for anyone who has been abused through their relationship with either the Church of England, Church in Wales or the Catholic Church of England and Wales.  Further information and contact details for their helpline (0300 303 1056) and live chat can be found here.

Thames Valley Domestic Abuse Services

  • Aylesbury Women’s Aid 01296 437777
  • Berkshire Women’s Aid 0118 950 4003
  • Windsor Maidenhead – DASH 01753 549865
  • Milton Keynes – MK Act 0344 375 4307
  • Oxfordshire / West Berkshire 0800 731 0055
  • Slough – Hestia 01753 477352
  • Wycombe Women’s Aid 01494 461367

National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (lines free and open 24 hours).  Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse or are concerned for someone who is experiencing domestic abuse.

Mental Health Crisis Teams

Berkshire NHS

If you need urgent help, but it’s not an emergency, you can call our Mental Health Crisis Team.

Phone number 0300 365 0300 or Phone number 0300 365 9999. 

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire NHS

Call the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Mental Health Helpline if you need help with a mental health problem. This number replaces 111 for mental health advice in Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire.

For adults and older adults call 0800 783 0119.

For children and young people call 0800 783 0121. 

NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are worried about a child.

Child-line: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything.

Samaritans Helpline: 08457 90 90 90 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.

Hourglass (Formerly Action on Elder Abuse) Helpline: 080 8808 8141 (free phone Monday to Friday 9-5pm). Provides support to families suffering with abuse of older people.

Rights of Women Helpline: 020 7490 0152.  Provides women with free legal advice if they have been a victim of sexual harassment in the workplace.

Additional information regarding support services for survivors of victims of abuse can be found here.