The work of Diocesan Synod is supported by a wide range of boards, councils and committees which promote and oversee particular aspects of activity in the life of the diocese. Membership of these groups is via a range of pathways: election, appointment, co-option and by dint of holding another office.
Bodies reporting directly to Diocesan Synod:
- Bishop’s Council - stipulated in the Church Representation Rules (Schedule 3 to the Synodical Government Measure 1969), it is the Standing Committee of Diocesan Synod established through the Memorandum and Articles of Association of the Oxford Diocesan Board of Finance Ltd;
- Patronage Board (under the Patronage (Benefices) Measure 1986);
- Diocesan Council for Partnership in World Mission;
- Diocesan Committee for Interfaith Concerns.
Bodies reporting to Bishop's Council:
- Buildings Committee (under the Repair of Benefice Buildings Measure 1972);
- Diocesan Advisory Committee (under the Care of Churches and Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction Measure 1991);
- Diocesan Mission and Pastoral Committee (under the Mission and Pastoral Measure 2011);
- Closed Churches Committee;
- Common Vision Steering Group (with the Development Fund Panel reporting to it);
- Appointments Committee;
- Local Ministry Pathway (LMP);
- Rural Advisory;
- Audit Committee;
- Human Resources Panel;
- Safeguarding Panel;
- Finance Committee (with Glebe Committee (under the Endowments and Glebe Measure 1976) and Investment Committee reporting to it).
Companies operating within the life of the diocese:
- Diocesan Board of Education (itself a Company Limited by Guarantee and a Registered Charity – the Diocesan Boards of Education Measure 1991 dictates much of the Governing document);
- Diocesan Trustees (Oxford) Ltd (known as DT(O)L), a Company limited by Guarantee (Churches Uniform Statutory Trust for Educational Endowments (CSUST) (under the Education Act 1966, Uniform Statutory Trusts for Education al Endowments Schedule 36 Section 557)) registered Company No. 867729 & registered Charity No. 25357.
Charities with long-standing relationships with Diocesan Synod:
- Diocesan Mothers’ Union
- Parents and Children Together (PACT)
- Oxford Diocesan Council for the Deaf (ODCD)
The majority of these groups provide an annual report to the Diocesan Synod.
Company & charity information for Oxford Diocesan Board of Finance (ODBF)
ODBF is a company limited by guarantee.
Company name: Oxford Diocesan Board of Finance
Registered office: Church House Oxford, Langford Locks, Kidlington, Oxford, OX5 1GF
Company registration number: 142978
Charity registration number: 247954
VAT registration number: 630 6345 61