How we communicate with others is an integral part of building relationship with those around us and those who pass through our churches every year. From very simple conversations, to branding, design and video, we can use communication tools to describe the God that we know and the church life that we are a part of.
In this area you will find resources to equip you to become a better communicator, as well as a variety of resources that you are free to use within your own pieces of communication.
We’re always interested to hear stories of what God is doing from across the diocese, so please do get in touch if you have anything to share.
Meet the team
Steven Buckley is the Director of Communications for the diocese and spokesperson for the Bishop of Oxford. Steven has been with the diocese since late 2017 and has overseen a number of key projects, including the launch of Pathways magazine and the restructuring of the communications function. Steven is a marketing communications and change management specialist with over 25 years experience working in commercial, professional, charity (INGO), and public sectors.
01865 208224 / 07824 906839
Sarah Bowie joined the Diocese of Oxford as Communications Officer (Content) in 2020 and overseas our marcomms and PR approach; gathering, editing and curating supplied content to demonstrate the breadth and diversity of the diocese. She works closely with regional and faith journalists and supports our churches in telling their stories. Sarah has over a decade of experience working in reactive media roles, supporting transformational change through innovative communications strategies.
Ruth Hamilton-Jones joined the diocese in 2015 and is the Communications Officer (Publications), leading on all diocesan publications including Pathways, eNews and bespoke literature to support church life. Prior to joining the diocese, Ruth was an editorial manager for an international educational publisher. She then lived and worked in Christian communities for several years.
Emma Thompson joined the diocese in 2020 as Communications Office (Digital), and works across our social media platforms and website, providing support and advice to churches on their own digital journey. Before joining the diocese, Emma worked as a proof reader for a well-known media company. Alongside this she delivered digital communications at a parish level, working closely with her local church.
What do we do?
Our roles are varied, but in brief, we:
- Proactively work with the press and broadcast media to tell good news stories about the life and work of the Church in the Diocese of Oxford
- Respond to enquiries from the press and broadcast media for information and comment
- Offer parishes and church schools confidential and professional support and advice during times of crisis and particular media interest
- Share stories and good practice, and provide thoughtful commentary and food for thought, across the parishes of the diocese through publications, both digital and printed
- Facilitate the flow of information in both directions between the parishes and Bishops, Archdeacons and diocesan officers
- Manage the diocesan website and sub-sites, and support blogs
- Develop and promote materials to support our common vision
- Provide advice and support on digital and social media – websites, Facebook, Twitter, blogs etc
- Create and support imaginative campaigns and projects to help promote the Gospel
- Advise on the use of logos and branding, and produce high quality publications where appropriate
- Provide training courses on parish communications, including magazines and websites.
Steven Buckley: 07824 906839
Sarah Bowie: 01865 208227