It is far from magical or formulaic; it won’t solve all the problems or answer all the questions, difficulties and issues you have to address.
However, over time, this discipline forms a community of the Holy Spirit, where the Spirit is as welcome and expected as anyone else there.
In our current season (September 2020 onwards) we are encouraging everyone to dwell on Philippians 1.27-2.13
To dwell in the Word set aside at least 20 minutes and start with the prayer:
God of gentleness and love draw near to us as we draw near to you. Dwell in every heart and conversation. Fashion in us the likeness of your Son, Jesus Christ. Help us to discern
together all that you are calling us to be and all that you are calling us to do. Assist us, by your Spirit, to become a more contemplative, more compassionate and more courageous Church for the building of your kingdom and the glory of your Son. Amen
• When everyone is ready, begin with one person reading the passage out loud to the group. You might like to download and print out this worksheet for the group.
• Now let some silence unfold as people let the words have their impact. Notice where your attention lingers. This might be a word or a phrase.
• Ask a second person to read the passage out loud once more.
• Each person in the group finds someone they know less well and listens to that person as they say what they heard in the passage. What captured their imagination in the passage and what would they like to find out more about? Each person should listen well as they will be asked to report back to the rest of the group (or another pairing if you’re a large group) what their partner said.
• What have you heard that might be significant? Discuss as a group what God might be up to in the passage for your group on that day. It can be helpful for the facilitator to make a brief note of what she or he hears from the group and to capture that in a short prayer at the end.
• Finally, let people know that as your conversation on other matters continues, anyone at any time may call for the Gospel and the group will return to the passage
Keen to find out more? Pathways magazine includes a regular section about Dwelling in the Word.