William John Butler
Priest, Founder of the Community of St Mary the Virgin, 14 January 1894
He built up the church and was regarded as a man of prayer, a teacher and pastor with a great gift of friendship.
Born 1818 and a friend of Keble, Manning and Henry Wilberforce, he became vicar of Wantage in 1847 as the first resident vicar. He cared for the spiritual and health needs of the people and was instrumental in installing a sewage system in the town. He founded schools in the town (for the education of the poor) and in 1848 founded the CSMV sisters and remained their guide and mentor as the community expanded. He was an Honorary Canon of Christ Church and in 1881 became Dean of Worcester and then Lincoln in 1885. He died in 1894.
Picture courtesy of Pusey House, Oxford.