The future of St Lawrence Church, West Wycombe
A public meeting with the PCC and the Archdeacon of Buckingham to discuss the future of St Lawrence Church took place on Monday 11 October 6.30pm at the church.
St Lawrence Church is a Grade 1* listed building and one of two parish churches in the village of West Wycombe. St Lawrence’s requires restoration and repair work that will require significant funding and specialist project management, which the PCC is not adequately resourced to provide.
The Diocese of Oxford is currently supporting the PCC, at their request, to explore possible options for the future of this much-loved church building. The public meeting, which took place on 11 October, followed a survey to gather local responses and ascertain community interest and active support in sustaining this heritage building and community asset. As of 5 October 2021, only 33 responses to the PCC survey had been received.
Process to date
- A local community survey hand-delivered to over 600 homes in the locality – August / September 2021
- Survey and PCC concerns advertised in the parish newsletter and local social media channels – September 2021
- Informal public meeting, to take place on Monday 11 October 2021, featured in this article (published 27 September) and is also advertised in the print and online editions of the Bucks Free Press – 8 October 2021
- PCC Lay Chair, Alison Wood, interviewed on Wycombe Sound Radio – 11 October 2021
- Questions & Answers from the Public Consultation Meeting – 11 October 2021
No decisions about the future of this church building have yet been made.
Following informal consultation and information seeking, next steps may be subject to statutory processes via the Diocesan Mission and Pastoral Committee (DMPC)”, in accordance with the Mission & Pastoral Measure 2011.