Safer Recruitment and People Management
The Safer Recruitment and People Management Guidance was issued in 2021 and replaces previous safer recruitment practice guidance. The updated guidance is available for review within the new Church of England Safeguarding E-Manual. Additionally, information on the new Safer Recruitment and People Management online learning pathway can be found on the Diocesan website.
The Requirements detailed in the guidance aim to help Church bodies to:
- Attract the best possible individuals to all roles through inclusive, fair, consistent and transparent processes.
- Identify and reject individuals who are unsuitable by following a proportionate but thorough selection process.
- Ensure that robust induction, oversight and supervision processes are in place for those working and volunteering with children and vulnerable adults.
Reinforcing the safeguarding and wellbeing of children and vulnerable adults throughout the recruitment process and beyond will help create and maintain a safe and positive environment that inspires trust, enabling them to thrive and grow and have the very best experience of Christian living through the work of the Church.
The Safer Recruitment and People Management Toolkit provides the following template resources and examples:
- Volunteer Role Description
- Volunteer Person Specification
- Volunteer Application Form
- Example Interview Questions
- Reference Request Form
- DBS Eligibility Guidance
- Risk Assessment Form Template
- Volunteer Appointment Letter Template
- Induction Checklist
- Volunteer Support Meeting Template
Disclosure and Barring Service
COVID-19: Changes to DBS ID Checking Guidelines
APCS is the recommended DBS Umbrella Body for the Diocese of Oxford.
To set up a parish account with APCS, in order to apply for DBS checks, please return the completed declaration forms below to Linda Carpenter – firstname.lastname@example.org or 01865 208267.
APCS should be contacted for queries regarding DBS checks which are currently being processed.
www.criminalrecordchecks.co.uk 0845 643 1145
APCS Eligibility Tool
APCS have recently developed the online DBS Eligibility Tool below to support parishes in determining if a DBS check is required for a role and at which level.
The Safeguarding e-Manual details the requirements and good practice for Disclosure and Barring Service checks within our Church Bodies.