Every year parishes/ benefices are asked to complete two returns:
- the Statistics for Mission Return which relates to membership and attendance and
- the Parish Finance Return which relates to the finances of the Parish.
We firmly believe that completing these two returns has benefits at every level of the life of the Church – local, deanery, diocese and national (see above leaflet for more information).
How to submit your Parish Return?
This data should be submitted wherever possible directly into the National Church’s Online Parish Returns System. This online system has recently been revised and is now very user-friendly. Once you have your login details and know the data you wish to submit the procedure should only take a short while to enter.
When is the information required?
Statistics for Mission Return
- 2019 – The full 2019 Statistics for Mission Return online form is now open and the deadline for submitting your completed mission return is 31st January, 2020. Many churches find it is easier to download and print a copy of the form for completion prior to submitting this on-line (see the Need help with your parish returns section below to download forms). We appreciate that for many of our smaller churches, it is still easier to complete and submit a paper form. Paper copies should be returned to the Diocese, marked FAO the Department for Mission, to our Church House Oxford address in Kidlington. Alternatively electronic copies can be sent to us via email to: email@example.com.
Parish Finance Return
- 2018 – The online system opened in January 2019 and you should submit this information once your Annual Accounts and Financial Statements have been approved for your APCM. The deadline to submit your 2018 Parish Finance Return is 31st May, 2019. There is just one form this year. First you will be asked to indicate which accounting format your Parish Annual Accounts follow – either the Receipts and Payments format or the Accruals format. (If the gross income of your PCC is less than £250,000 then it is likely that your accounts have been prepared on a Receipts and Payments basis. Parishes with a gross income greater than £250,000 will use the Accruals accounting basis.)
- 2019 – This will not open until January 2020, once the end of the Church Financial Year has passed.
Need help with your parish returns?
For login assistance or general queries please contact the Diocesan Parish Returns Team either by email or via phone using the main switchboard number: 01865 208200. If you encounter technical issues with the website you can also contact the National Church’s Statistics Unit via email and they will be able to assist with these problems.
Please see below to download the revised User Guide which explains how the system works. You may also find it helpful to complete either a PDF or Excel version of the Returns form before you enter the information online. These forms are also located below and scrolling down include very helpful notes which outline exactly what data is required.
- User Guide (for the Church of England Online Parish Return System)
- 2019 Statistics For Mission Form (doc)
- 2019 Statistics For Mission Form (pdf)
- 2018FinanceForm (excel)
- 2018FinanceForm (pdf)
- Frequently Asked Questions (General)
- Frequently Asked Questions (Finance)
For the archive of all Parish Returns Forms (2016 and before), click on the link.
Back to Finance