Every year parishes/ benefices are asked to complete two returns:
- the Statistics for Mission Return which relates to membership and attendance and
- the Parish Finance Return which relates to the finances of the Parish.
We firmly believe that completing these two returns has benefits at every level of the life of the Church – local, deanery, diocese and national (see above leaflet for more information).
How to submit your Parish Return?
This data should be submitted wherever possible directly into the National Church’s Parish Returns Online System. This online system has recently been revised and is now very user-friendly. Once you have your login details and know the data you wish to submit the procedure should only take a short while to enter.
When is the information required?
Statistics for Mission Return
- 2017 – Please note that the 2017 Statistics for Mission Return has now closed. If you have missed the deadline please download and complete the 2017 Statistics for Mission Form (see the Need help with your parish returns section below to download forms). Paper copies should be returned to the Diocese, marked FAO the Department for Mission, to our Church House Oxford address in Kidlington. Alternatively electronic copies can be sent to us via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2018 – The full 2018 Statistics for Mission Return online form will open in the Autumn and the deadline for your complete 2018 Statistics for Mission Return to be submitted will be 31st January, 2019. We would, however, encourage you to enter your data as the year progresses if you are able. Your 2018 Easter Attendance and Electoral Roll figures can indeed be entered online now. For guidance on how to enter your 2018 Easter Attendance/ Electoral Roll figures online please click here. Following your 2018 APCM please also ensure that your Electoral Roll figures are entered online using the Parish Returns Online System and this should be completed prior to the Electoral Roll submission deadline of 1st June. Once your Electoral Roll figures are submitted online, you do not need to submit these separately to the Diocese.
Parish Finance Return
- 2017 – The online system opened in January and you should submit this information once your Annual Accounts and Financial Statements have been approved for your APCM. The deadline to submit your 2017 Parish Finance Return is 31st May, 2018. Please note that for 2017 the Finance Returns Form has been revised to make submitting your financial information easier. There are now 2 separate Finance Returns Forms, one is for Parishes using a Receipts & Payments format for their Parish Accounts, and the second is for Parishes following an Accruals format. You will therefore be asked at the beginning of the submission procedure to select the form which corresponds to the accounting format that your Parish Annual Accounts follow. Please click here for more information.
- 2018 – This will not open until January 2019, once the end of the Church Financial Year has passed.
Need help with your parish returns?
For login assistance or general queries please contact the Diocesan Parish Returns Team either by email or via phone using the main switchboard number: 01865 208200. If you encounter technical issues with the website you can also contact the National Church’s Statistics Unit via email and they will be able to assist with these problems.
Please see below to download the revised User Guide which explains how the system works. You may also find it helpful to complete either a PDF or Excel version of the Returns form before you enter the information online. These forms are also located below and scrolling down include very helpful notes which outline exactly what data is required.
- User Guide 2017
- 2017StatisticsForMission (doc.)
- 2017StatisticsForMission (pdf.)
- 2017FinanceForm (excel) * (*Receipts & Payments version on Tab 1 and Accruals on Tab 2)
- 2017ParishFinance_Receipts+Payments (pdf)
- 2017ParishFinance_Accruals (pdf)*
- Frequently Asked Questions
For the archive of all Parish Returns Forms (2016 and before), click on the link.
Back to Finance