If you are interested in becoming a treasurer, this leaflet provides further information on the role and what is expected of you.
ODBF Treasurers’ Newsletters
Please see below link for the recent Treasurers’ newsletter:
The Church Financial Year – what happens when?
To assist you in planning your role as Treasurer we have prepared a summary of the Church Financial Year, from a Treasurer’s perspective, please see document below:
The following websites provide helpful advice for PCC treasurers.
Parish Resources – provided by the Church of England’s National Stewardship and Resources team and offering over 400 pages of resources to support all aspects of stewardship, finance, administration and management in the local church. In particular, see:
- The New Treasurer’s Handbook
- Detailed advice on Gift Aid
- Guidance on registering with the Charity Commission: www.parishresources.org.uk/pccs/
- Why don’t some PCCs have a registered charity number, what should I use for grant forms? www.parishresources.org.uk/pccs/frequently-asked-questions/
- Pensions Auto Enrolment guidance for parishes www.parishresources.org.uk/people/employing-staff/pensions/
You may also find the following links helpful:
- The National Church and the dioceses set up the Parish Buying Service to help parishes ‘buy smarter’. The Parish Buying team use the bulk buying power of the Church to negotiate competitive prices and contracts with approved suppliers, across a range of different products. Please visit the Parish Buying website to register and gain access to national deals and buying guides on a range of major spends.
- The Association of Church Accountants & Treasurers (ACAT) is the national support charity for Treasurers of Christian Churches, providing advice, training and information on accounting, financial, legal and other related issues.
- Information from the Church of England about clergy pay and expenses
- Parochial Expenses Guide
- To recover VAT on repairs, maintenance and alterations to listed places of worship, follow the guidelines of the Listed Places of Worship grant scheme.
- Detailed advice on annual accounts may be found in the book “PCC accountability, the Charities Act and the PCC”. Hard copies of the book may also be purchased from Church House Publishing.
- Ecclesiastical offer useful advice for PCCs on security and health and safety.
- Church Care is the comprehensive source of information for everyone managing a church building.