Carrying out the headteacher’s annual appraisal review is a major responsibility of the governing body. Headteacher Appraisal is a critical aspect of leadership and the ODBE has a complete service for schools which supports the whole process of appraisal including:
- Supporting your governing body to review the performance of your headteacher and set objectives for the coming year;
- Giving preliminary advice and then attending and advising at the Headteacher Appraisal review meeting;
- Drafting a review statement and objectives for your agreement and for you to finalise with your headteacher;
- Familiarising you with the Headteacher Standards and documentation associated with Headteacher Appraisal; and
- Advising you on the procedure for making recommendations on your headteacher’s pay to the governing body following a successful review
The governing board has a duty to appoint an external adviser in support of the appraisal. An ODBE adviser will facilitate the process and offer professional guidance. It is recommended that the governor appraisers undertake relevant training also offered by ODBE.
The formal review of the 2019-2020 objectives must take place in the Summer or Autumn Term 2020, and at the latest by the 31st December 2020 deadline.
The Role of the ODBE Adviser
The ODBE adviser will complete a pre-appraisal evaluation of supporting documentation, attend the three-part appraisal meeting and draft a written report for the panel’s consideration, agreement and final write up. ODBE is able to offer virtual meetings for appraisal on the understanding that confidentiality is maintained and that meetings are not recorded.
To make a booking for an experienced adviser to support you in this process please contact your School Link Adviser directly or telephone Tracy Richardson (Schools Support Officer) 01865 208242 who will be able to help you with any further information you require and put you in touch with your school link adviser.
More information, including costs, is available in the Headteacher Appraisal Process Document.
We look forward to working with you.