‘Safeguarding’ continues to be a vital part of your school’s provision for its pupils and is an important test of you and your governing body’s leadership and management. It is also clearly a national and local priority for schools and is the target for increased scrutiny through Ofsted inspection regimes.
Under the new 2015 handbook Ofsted will evaluate the effectiveness of a school’s provision using the Ofsted guidance ‘Inspecting safeguarding in maintained schools and academies’ and the key changes in the new Inspection Handbook (2015). They also look at key outcomes for pupils in the new key judgment for personal development, behaviour and welfare and in leadership with governors’ statutory responsibility for this area probed. This comprehensive module pulls from the latest Inspection Handbook and guidance coupled to the materials and training given recently to inspectors to help them focus on this nationally important judgement.
The module covers:
- The effectiveness of safeguarding arrangements to ensure that all pupils are safe and that all adults are suitably checked.
- The school’s analysis of, and response to, pupils’ behaviour over time, types, rates and patterns of bullying and the effectiveness of the school’s actions to prevent and tackle all forms of bullying and harassment.
- The views expressed by pupils of their experiences of others’ behaviour and attitudes towards them.
- The extent to which pupils are able to understand and respond to risk, for example risks associated with extremism.
- The effectiveness of leaders, including the designated person when responding to inspection.
- The effectiveness of governance including how well governors provide challenge and hold the headteacher and other senior leaders to account for improving pupils’ behaviour, safety and operate in such a way that statutory safeguarding duties are met and priorities are approved.
- Learning from the latest Serious Case Reviews.
Course Leader: David Cousins/Chris Price-Smith
Cost: SLA schools: £45, or as part of Excellence in Governance package: £450 (10 modules over 2 years, 3 Gov.s per module)
For more information: To book: 01865 208272 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org