Worship is a vital part of the life of a church school and critical part of the SIAMS process. This is a lively opportunity to explore many ideas of practical use in school worship:
- The Bible in Worship Project and other practical links with biblical sources
- Pupil/student leadership, the creation of worship and how effective evaluation helps the creative process. Themes, values and patterns including the place of seasons and festivals
- Worship throughout the life of the school – working with PSHE, SMSC and Personal Development plus suggestions for worship in classes and tutor groups
- Creation and development of prayer and sacramental possibilities
- Parish connections, worship in church and participation across the community including multi-cultural contexts
- Godly Play, Prayer Spaces and our Treasure Trove of worship
- And … the Holy Trinity.
Spirituality will form a significant part of the day in both its expression through worship and possibilities throughout the curriculum. The emphasis will be on practical and accessible ways of both exploring and developing spirituality with children and young people, including ways of recording and showing development and progression.
Through the course participants gain a clear understanding of the essentials of worship and spirituality in a church school, how these can contribute to good/excellent SIAMS judgements and the role they can play in SMSC and Personal Development within the Ofsted framework. There will also be opportunities for meeting with other teachers and practitioners to share ideas.
Led by Robin Sharples, School Link Adviser, who designed and wrote much of http://www.worshipworkshop.org.uk,
Participants may wish to look at http://www.worshipworkshop.org.uk and http://www.oxford.anglican.org/schools/school_worship/school-worship-bible-project before attending the course.
Target Audience: All involved in worship in church schools, teachers, clergy, visitors and governors
Course Leaders: Robin Sharples & Charlie Kerr
Time: 9.30am – 3.30pm
Cost: Lunch included
Schools in Diocesan Service Level Agreement: £95 (+VAT) per delegate
Schools not in the Diocesan Service Level Agreement: £140 (+VAT) per delegate