The Contemplative Toolkit has been designed by the Diocese of Oxford to draw on the benefits and insights of the Mindfulness movement, but, whilst maintaining the total inclusivity of Mindfulness, doing this in a way which is also distinctively Christian. The Christian faith has been home to a profound Contemplative tradition since the 3rd Century CE, and there are amazing insights that can be drawn and embedded within school culture and ethos. These insights can have a direct positive impact on mental health and wellbeing at a time such as this, when many of us are under new and difficult pressures. The course is designed for the benefit of pupils in the first instance, but hopefully staff will also find that they benefit just as much over time, as well.
By the end of the course you will:
• Be equipped to deliver five distinctive meditative/contemplative daily exercises to your class: Stilling, Noticing, Dwelling, Mending and Blessing
• Understand the background and purpose of the five exercises
• Have an opportunity to experience them for yourselves and share your experience with other learners
• Be confident to introduce other members of staff/classes to the practices
• Have evidence for SIAMS of spiritual impact in your school
• Develop your distinctively Christian ethos in a totally inclusive way
• Develop your relationship with your local Church by sharing the practice with clergy and lay members who can support you in them.
• Hopefully be a little more peaceful and anchored in your own life through these troubled times!
The course will take place by 4 after-school ZOOM sessions
Session 1a Introduction & Stilling Monday 9th November 3.30 – 4.45pm
Session 1b Introduction & Stilling Tuesday 10th November 3.30 – 4.45pm
Session 2a Noticing & Dwelling Tuesday 24th November 3.30 – 4.45pm
Session 2b Noticing & Dwelling Wednesday 25th November 3.30 – 4.45pm
Session 3a Mending Monday 18th January 3.30 – 4.30pm
Session 3b Mending Tuesday 19th January 3.30 – 4.30pm
Session 4a Blessing & Plenary Tuesday 9th February 3.30 – 4.30pm
Session 4b Blessing & Plenary Wednesday 10th February 3.30 – 4.30pm
The cost is £95 for schools in the SLA and £165 for non-SLA schools. This allows up to 4 people to attend to ideally include:
• The headteacher
• Staff member with oversight for Ethos/SIAMS/SMSC/RE
• The Incumbent or Minister from a local church
• Another member of the church (i.e. Foundation Governor or Church Member involved in Open The Book/Prayer Spaces etc.)
To book your place please email our training and events administrator firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note you are using this Eventbrite link to pay for the four sessions and joining instruction will be sent from Donna Finlay before the training starts.