Ensuring school finances are run well is key to the success of any Governing Body. One of the most important aspects is the way in which the reference to financial management has now become more specific – ‘solvency and probity’ is the new key phrase.
School finances are also similarly stretched for all schools and governors must work effectively to avoid deficits and ensure best value for money in their schools.
This module will provide an overview of good practice in this crucial area and is led by Sue Bremner-Milne, Finance Director of ODST and a highly experienced manager of a team of school finance officers.
Key areas covered will include:
- Statutory obligations and the new focus on finance
- Governor skills required
- Reporting systems e.g. TORs, finance committees
- Key questions to ask the HT
- Why those without a financial background can still make a valuable contribution
- What the rules are, who makes them and why
- What governors should expect from their schools (and what they shouldn’t!)
Course Leaders: Sue Bremner-Milne/Fiona Craig
Cost: SLA schools: £45, or as part of Excellence in Governance package: £499 (10 modules over 2 years, 3 Gov.s per module)
For more information: To book: 01865 208272 or e-mail: email@example.com