Speaker: Jan Sunman
Jan will be working with colleagues with learning disabilities in a very interactive day covering the following key themes:
- what is a learning disability?
- understanding the social model of disability and the medical model
- inclusion, acceptance of difference and healing
- communicating and worshipping with and without words
- creating communities of support and fellowship for people with learning disabilities and their families
- celebrating the lives of people with learning disabilities.
Jan Sunman has worked as a social worker and for Royal Mencap Society both as a regional officer and as a trustee. She has been campaigning for better support for families for over 36 years and has worked on a number of charitable projects for disabled children and their families. She currently works with Oxfordshire Family Support Network, a local charity supporting families of all ages who have relatives with learning disabilities.
Date: Wednesday 8 November
Venue: Christ Church, Flackwell Heath
Cost: £10 (including lunch)